Datuk Mohaiyani Shamsudin appointed Chairman of Maybank – the first woman Chairman on the board of the country’s largest public listed company.
First bank in Malaysia to implement extended maternity leave of up to one year for eligible female employees within the Group.
Announces partnership with Alipay of China to provide contactless payment convenience across various outlets in Malaysia.
Launches Maybank2u Pay, a new payment gateway to support e-commerce entrepreneurs to boost online businesses.
Launches Regional Collaborative Fintech Sandbox Platform, the first of its kind in ASEAN, to boost the development of Fintech.
First listed company in Malaysian corporate history to breach RM100 billion market capitalisation.
Launches co-branded debit and credit cards with renowned European football club FC Barcelona.
Introduces face and voice recognition features in M2U mobile banking app - the first bank in Malaysia to offer all three biometric functionalities on a banking app, including the earlier fingerprint recognition.
Launches HouzKEY, an innovative Rent-to-Own (RTO) product which is the first by a bank in Malaysia.
First bank in Malaysia to launch cashless mobile payment option using QR code called Maybank QRPay.
Acquisition of Malaysia National Insurance Bhd, Malaysia’s largest national insurer and its subsidiary, Takaful Nasional Sdn Bhd, Malaysia’s premier Takaful provider.
Mayban Takaful commences operations, making it the first Takaful company owned by a conventional bank in Malaysia.
Maybank introduces the nation’s first integrated and largest ATM network — Automated Banking Consortium or ABC linking Kwong Yik Bank, Mayban Finance and Maybank in Malaysia and Singapore, a total of 296 ATMs.
Maybank’s New York branch opens in September.
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir Mohamad lays the foundation stone of Menara Maybank — Maybank’s headquarters — in September.
First Malaysian bank to set up ATMs in Malaysia.
Maybank launches its first credit card — the Maybank Visa Classic card.
Pioneer in computerisation of banking operations in Malaysia in 1978.
In June, Mayban-Phoenix Assurance Bhd — with the Bank holding 70% equity — is incorporated offering underwriting general insurance risks. The remaining 30% is held by British Phoenix Assurance. On October 10, 1986, Mayban-Phoenix Assurance is renamed Mayban Assurance.
First to introduce mobile bus banking services in 1976.
First to introduce a rural credit scheme in 1974.
In September, Maybank sets up its investment banking arm — Asian and Euro-American Merchant Bankers Bhd (Aseambankers). The bank is renamed Maybank Investment Bank in 2009.